We have some friends that are going to start their wonderful experience of the Camino de Santiago from the historical city of Leon. Today we want to share with all of you: What to do in Leon.
Before arriving Leon, you have to know that the town is the old capital of the Kingdom of Isabella the Catholic. Also, the city was one of the main points on the Roman road from Italy to Hispania, where the Astorga- Bordeaux roads meet, a point of reference along the pilgrimage route to Santiago de Compostela, and a strategic stop along the Ruta de la Plata.
- Marveling at the light effect from the windows of the Cathedral: The cathedral is the highest point in Leon, sits at 838 meters above sea level where you can observe more than 700 meters of colourful stained glass windows of the Cathedral.
- Visiting the “Casa Botines” by Antonio Gaudi: one of the three modernist buildings that he created outside Cataluña. At the same time, walking around the Plaza de San Marcelo and the Palacio de los Guzmanes.
- Roman living: the ramparts are the best example of the Roman origins of the city. The “Arco de la Carcel” The Arc of the Jail is one of the four entrances of the old Roman wall, giving access to the old town of Leon.
- Staying one night at the San Marcos Parador de Leon: lodging in one of the regal rooms at the 16th Century Monastery-Hospital building, nowadays a 5* accommodation.
- Shopping on Saturday morning at street market of the Plaza Mayor: Best time to sample traditional recipes and to buy local food(chorizo, cecina, beans, pimientos del Bierzo, hojaldres de Astorga).
- Being transported to an authentic medieval square: la Plaza del Grano has medieval buildings and it is located amongst the modern streets of Leon.
- Having tapas at the Barrio Humedo: It is a tradition to explore the many bars and taverns in the historical center and order a glass of wine or beer next to a tapa.
- Walking to Plaza de San Isidoro with the Museum and the “Palacio of Conde de Luna”
- Hiking to the Lomas complex to enjoy a panoramic view of the town: ask the local for directions to get there because it is not touristic at all.
- Musac, Art Contemporary museum: It is aimed to be the Museum of the Present. Many interesting exhibits inside and also modernist and colorful architecture.
Appreciate this, friends, enjoy Leon, discover the city and share with us all your experiences.
+ Read more… San Froilan Festival changes Leon
Have a BUEN CAMINO!